Active Birth Skills Classes for Couples
Be empowered for your Labour, Birth and Recovery
Spend quality time with your partner, mentally and physically preparing for this new phase in your life
An opportunity to share experiences and ask questions in a relaxed environment.
Our Active Birth Skills Class was borne out of a desire to see every woman have a positive birth and postpartum experience. Every birth is an individual journey, experience and miracle. It is a new experience every time, for every birth.
The one thing you can control, is how you prepare, and how you approach it. In our birth skills class we talk about our toolkit for birth. Some women will need every tool, others may find one or two that resonate and work on the day.
You don't know what you don't know. Come along and find out what tools resonate for you. We'd love to be a part of this journey with you.
Topics covered include:
- Information on stages of labour
- Understanding labour pain, how to avoid the negative pain cycle and embrace the experience.
- Positioning and movement to effectively progress labour and be in control of your contractions.
- Acupressure points for labour including labour induction, pain management and progressing labour.
- TENS (trans-cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
- Practical information to manage low back pain and pelvic girdle pain during labour
- Learn HOW to push your baby out.
- Essential Information for optimum post-partum recovery
- Learn positions for breastfeeding that prevent back pain, promote pelvic floor recovery and utilise neonatal reflexes for best outcomes for getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Get the best information on getting your body back safely to avoid post-partum symptoms of stress urinary incontinence and prolapse.
2017: Classes are held at Gateway Osteopathy and Pilates 2/741 Main Road. Eltham VIC.
2018: Classes will be held at Vivalife Fitness and Pilates 3/39 Grand Boulevard. Montmorency VIC
Saturday 9th December 2017
Sunday 21st January 2018
Sunday 25th March 2018
Sunday 20th May 2018
Class runs from 10.30AM - 4.30PM with an hours lunch break at 12.30-1.30PM, and a short afternoon break. Tea/coffee and light refreshments provided. Participants are encouraged to take a break and visit a local cafe of which there are many within a short walk or drive.
Course costs: $175 per couple (2017), $239 per couple (2018)
Some Private Health Care funds will provide a rebate for an antenatal preparation/exercise class led by a physiotherapist. Health funds require that you have been 'assessed' prior to joining a class in order to then claim for the class. This means, you may have to have seen a physio during your pregnancy if you want to claim our Birth Skills class. For more information on this, please don't hesitate to contact us.
2018 classes on Sunday's and include lunch!
We are moving to a new venue from 2018 and as part of the move, we will now be providing a catered lunch including coffee/tea or hot chocolate and afternoon tea. The time is also slightly different with a Sunday start time of 11AM and finishing up at 4.30PM.
When to attend?
You are welcome to attend at any stage of your pregnancy however, the best window is between 28-36 weeks gestation so the information is still front of mind and there's also time to practice some skills.
How to book?
You can book online anytime via the link at the bottom of this page or by calling 9434 7297, Mon-Fri: 9AM - 5PM
10% of profits are donated to Hamlin Fistula Hospital Ethiopia with an annual goal of providing long term physiotherapy to two patients at the Hamlin Fistula Hospital. Please click the above link for more information on this worthy cause.